Friday, March 30

EVOLUTION OF A BED PT.1

Aww yeah...this is about the construction of beds. You're super intrigued...right? Derp. Sorry to disappoint. Nothing scandalous here.

Beds in dorm rooms...stink. They are lifeless, fake-pine-colored Spartan beds with low head- and footboards that don't even support your pillows so when you're sleeping they all disappear behind the bed. Documentation right hurr:


This isn't actually my room, but it's pretty darn close furniture-wise. The only difference would be that our beds/desks/chairs are a tad darker, and also don't have the little half-moon swooshy thing at the head- and footboard. But you get the idea--boring.

There are so many limitations to decorating a room with something other than posters. We can't affix anything to the walls, unless we use 3M hooks. And those don't really hold THAT much. We also aren't allowed to hang tapestries larger than 5x7 on the walls...which spoiled my idea for DIY wallpaper. This rule exists in case something catches on fire and falls on our heads. Likely story. The only thing getting "lit up" in my room is a Paula Deen vanilla poundcake candle. And that was only one time--Fire Safety, if you're reading this, I'm sorry. I only did it once and yes now my room smells like butter and I LOVE IT. And in case you were wondering of course you can't paint anything. So it's Boring McWhiteWalls all day, erryday.

Despite all these rulez, this year I REALLY outdid myself with trying to modify the bed to be something splendid. I created a forest-y (yuck that sounds cheesy) canopy bed. From a branch. And 3M hooks (which are the only things allowed to stick to our walls other than Scotch tape!) And string...and curtains. But that's it, I promise.

Voila.


Yup. Please ignore the gym clothes crumpled up on the side of the bed. Bad me.

Anyhoo, this bad boy was constructed as such:
1. Salvage branch from tree that blew down in your neighbor's yard. To salvage, you must pull it off of the dead tree. This will take a while. And your neighbor will come out and ask you what you are doing. He won't understand. You will embarass yourself. True story. Walk away with the tall branch like a champ. And don't get caught in the doorway. While said neighbor is still watching. True Story.
2. Spray-paint the branch white. Dry for a couple of hours to be safe.
3. Tape branch to the bottom left bed post (the one that is closest to us in the foreground in the photo).
4. Apply 3M hooks to the wall perpendicular to the branch to make the canopy.
5. Tie string onto the hooks, and string onto them big, lofty curtains--found those in a linen closet at home.
6. Tie strung curtains onto the branch.

EDIT: Here is a photo diagramming the specific construction. I hope it helps!




The accoutrements: I tied the middle curtains back with some string, so as to not get too cozy and thus never go to class in the morning. I also added some pretty crocheted (omg I just spelled that crotched, don't judge) stars. It's totally not perfect, but I did what I could with all the parameters our Fire Safety lays out for us.

And if you're wondering, it passed inspection. I basically reasoned the whole thing out with them. It went down like this:

Fire Safety Guy #1: This doesn't look regulation. I have to get my supervisor.
Me: No,  no! I checked the Fire Safety website and everything. And I love it. Please let me keep it (sparkly eyes).
Fire Safety Guy #2: What the heck is this? Uh oh. I don't know. Well, it's pretty damn creative.
Me: I made it with a branch! It's regulation! I promise! I'll do anything (embellishments here)!
Fire Safety Guy #2: Well. I guess it doesn't hang over your head. You passed. Good job.

And there you have it. Canopy bliss.

But that was just the beginning. Because I switched it up AGAIN. More to come in the next post.

DANA

39 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this, but I have a quick question...I can't find the branch in the picture...where is it and can you elaborate on how you used it to create this masterpiece. Thanks so much!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!

      Thanks for loving this :) The branch is affixed to the left footboard post (if you were to lie in the bed, this would be the post on the bottom right). It's very much hidden in the photo! It is standing straight up by itself--I taped it onto the post. So basically it is on the only post that is not next to the wall. Does that make sense? Oh man I am bad at explaining this! My apologies and thanks for following my craziness! xx

      Delete
    2. I still cant find it.

      Delete
    3. Hmm, I am going to edit this post to include a diagram but in the meantime I will try and explain it one more way: if you are looking at the picture, it appears as if the canopy is affixed in three spots, one on each wall and one on the "ceiling." The one in the middle that looks like it is hanging from the ceiling is actually just supported by a very tall branch that I taped onto the foot post. The branch is hidden because the curtains cover it. So, essentially, the branch is in the middle of the picture, standing straight up, hidden by the curtains.

      Delete
  2. I love this! I really want to do this with my bed. What do the 3M hooks look like because it is sort of hard to tell from the picture and where do you get them? Also, do you have to have the branch for it to work? I don't have bed posts on my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lindsay! The 3M hooks are called "3M Removable Utility Hooks with Command Adhesive." They are sold everywhere, I picked mine up from the drugstore. I had very short bedposts, but if you don't have any you could measure a wooden dowel (easy to get at Home Depot) to the height you want the canopy to be and just use that instead of the branch. Basically, you would get a dowel around maybe 7-8ft and affix it to a corner of your bed with tape, wood glue, or nails and screws. So glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a solution for your white wall problem: clear Contact paper. You can paint it, write quotes on it, and do basically anything else with it, and it comes straight off the wall at the end of the year, easier than anything. :) Plus, it's super cheap, and you can probably find it in any craft section. There are other designs besides clear (i.e. colorful, patterned ones) but I like doing my own thing with the clear stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so fascinating! Thank you for that idea. Love how many ways you could possibly create with that.

      Delete
  5. Was wondering how you hung the hooks on the ceiling - it's a little difficult to tell in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! If you look at the picture, there are three top "posts" that create the canopy, the "posts" on either side (meaning the two outer ones) are created by affixing the hooks to the ceiling wall. Then you just tie the string onto the hooks. This means that the only "post" is the branch in the center. The hooks mimic a post by hanging the string the curtains are on. Sometime this week I will try and edit the photo to make it clearer, so definitely check back!

      Delete
  6. Where did you get the hanging stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, my parents had them for many years without ever taking them out. They must be 30+ years old! Not sure where they came from, either, there are not tags attached :/

      Delete
  7. I absolutely LOVE this! :) I made my own version and mentioned you in my blog (http://klagrace.blogspot.com/2012/11/18-yards-later.html). Thanks for the inspiration!

    cheers!
    kla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, kla! I just hopped on over to your blog and your canopy is spectacular!

      Delete
  8. How long are the curtains you used? I am planning on doing this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all: awesome that you're doing this tonight! Be sure to take a photo and let me know how it goes :)

      As for curtain length, these were extremely, extremely long curtains. They were about 8ft long (or, 96" in curtain length speak). I think anything about 7ft (84") or longer works really well.

      Delete
    2. Also, what kind of string did you use?

      Delete
    3. I used plain white string, I had it lying around at home. It was from the hardware store but totally nothing fancy!

      Delete
  9. this is the most amazing thing i have ever seen and i am doing it the second i get back to school

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eden! Thank you so much :) I want to see pictures if you do it!

      Delete
  10. You're so creative!!! Love it && your wildness!!ade me LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will this work for a lofted bed? And where did you get the curtains from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mallory! This could definitely work for a lofted bed, either above it or below it, for a little nook space or something. I got the curtains from a family member, haha, but any reaaally long ones will do. This kind is called a "sheer."

      Delete
  12. I am totally doing this in my bedroom this summer, and this next year. i LOVE that, except I will probably keep the branch out completely and just put hooks into my ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly! I LOVE that you will be trying it out, let me know how it goes :) And all hooks will look even "airier" I bet.

      Delete
  13. Hi Dana, I came across this over pinterest and absolutely love this! I'm so excited to try this my freshman year. You seem like such a clever regulation expert. Do you think this could or have any suggestions on how it could pass this regulation:

    "NO flammable or combustible materials on the ceiling or covering ceiling?"

    Thanks!,
    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sydney! So tickled that you love it :) As for flammability, my school had the same policy, however, since the fabric wasn't directly above my head (only to the sides of it), fire safety had no problem with it. When it comes to different schools, though, I can imagine different degrees of fire safety strictness! Perhaps you could get flame-retardant fabric (I'll link it below) and use that instead of the curtains. I might save the receipt/tag just to prove it to them in case they ask, too. Hope this helps!

      http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=fire+retardant+curtains&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=11423064381&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10292918571170080148&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7w9am6e7c6_b

      Delete
  14. I have been trying for about a year now to figure out how to make a canopy for my college room. Thank you for finally giving me the means to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I'm so happy you found this, then! Would love to see it if you DIY it :)

      Delete
  15. This looks really awesome! I've been trying to figure out a way to make a canopy around my bed (I want some bright colors in my new room, it's all white!) I wonder if it would work around all sides of the bed instead of just three? If not, I'll just move my bed! Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! It could definitely work on all sides, I would just use two branches at the bottom of the bed! xx

      Delete
  16. This is so creative! Just wondering though, is it necessary to have the branch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annalyse! You don't need the branch if you just want to hang it with thumb tacks or such?

      Delete
  17. Hi! I found your canopy picture from here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/gabbynoone/26-cheap-and-easy-ways-to-have-the-best-dorm-room-ever and I kept searching until I found the original site!

    Can you explain how you hang a curtain on a branch? I understand that for the two 3Ms, you could tie a small loop on a string and hang it like that, but I don't see how I could do it on a branch and not let the whole thing fall though the branch on that side (hopefully you understand what I mean? lol I'm bad at explaining)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cool idea! I wish I saw this back when I was in college; my dorm room was so boring!

    http://cafecraftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa! This was from my senior year, so it took me a while to get crafty ;) xx

      Delete