Monday, April 23

EVOLUTION OF A BED PT. 2

I know you've been waiting anxiously (crickets). Here's part two of my bed DIY. You can revisit the first bed DIY installment here.

The back-story. I live in a dorm that (fairly) imposes all kinds of fire safety regulations. I've spent years trying to make every cold white dorm room into something more personal. A couple of months ago I did a pretty ambitious DIY to my dorm bed. Using a spray-painted branch, string, and 3M removable wall hooks, I created a canopy bed that passed all fire safety regulations.


EDIT: new diagram for your likin' :)


I can't believe how many responses I've received about this bed. This little thang has had over 1,000 hits on Pinterest and Tumblr, with people wondering how the heck this could fly in a dorm room. It made my heart all tingly just thinking about all the responses like "So doing this next year!" and "Must have this in my dorm room now." Thank you, internet people. I'm just so sad I took the crummiest picture ever to document it (crumpled up gym clothes, pillows askew, Hello Kitty glaring from the left).

But as much as I loved the positive feedback, the canopy HAD TO GO. Why? Because it was becoming way too easy to stay in bed all morning and never get up. The canopy bed is a vicious thing--it beckons you to go to sleep and never leave because it is so frilly and comforting and sweet and dreamy.

Enter the new...er...what I will call, "Canopy Headboard." It's sort of like the best of both worlds: dreamy and drapey but open and easier to start the day in.


And it's the same boring dorm bed, 3M removable wall hooks, quirky spray-painted branch, and crocheted stars but new draped fabric I had in my living room. No new materials! And just as easy as the last DIY.

Here's how I did it.

1. I took a 3M hook and positioned it above the center of my bed.
2. I put the branch in it so that it laid horizontal to the wall.
3. I draped the sheer fabric and crocheted stars across the branch.

And here are a lot of photos that illustrate the Canopy Headboard concept. I should trademark that.





Basically, I can see this DIY in a million different ways: swap in bold fabric, a colorful dowel for the branch, make the dowel smaller or larger, hang ribbons, extend the sides out more to enclose it, anything. I should also mention that this was my original inspiration from Better Homes & Gardens, although I had to modify the extending rods to be dorm friendly and thus had to lay it flat against the wall.

So hopefully you've enjoyed this non-scandalous update on my bed situation. By the way, all the linens I use are Ralph Lauren Home. Deeply discounted from Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and Ralph Lauren Home Outlet. If this isn't an easy, cheap DIY bed, I don't know what is.

DANA

12 comments:

  1. Wow, this has to be the best girl's college dorm room bed I have ever seen. You have out done almost everybody I've seen. Great job. What year are you? Looks like you've had a lot of practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just graduated. Having to decorate a new room year after year definitely forces a person to get creative!

      Delete
  2. what length of fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a very long drape, approximately 108". You can play around with different length curtains/drapes--you could even use a blanket, throw, or yards of fabric :)

      Delete
  3. Where are your sheets and pillow cases from? In love with them. Especially the pillows.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CarleyAnn! I love that you love them, too :) I'm slightly obsessed with Ralph Lauren Home...the pillowcases are from their Belle Harbor Collection and the duvet my mom made from sheets from their Brooke Collection. I actually found the pillowcases really randomly at Marshall's one day, sometimes they carry the good RL Home stuff!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's actually a random branch that had fallen off a tree in a snowstorm, haha. I spray-painted it white to blend in. It was about 3 inches in diameter.

      Delete
  5. Great idea! I just did this in my room with a lace curtain and fairy lights. it looks amazing!! thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are way more than welcome :) I would love to see it if you ever upload a photo!

      Delete
  6. How did you create the initial "dreamy canopy"? I really want to be in lala land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marisa! My first canopy tutorial is here: http://thenakedcoed.blogspot.com/2012/03/evolution-of-bed-pt-1.html Thanks for reading :) xx

      Delete