Friday, July 27

DIY "Dyeing" a Swimsuit & Side-Tie Bottoms

Wow, first of all: The Naked Co-Ed has surpassed 10,000 page views! I am in shock--thanks to everyone who has taken an interest in what I do, whether it's a DIY tutorial or a glimpse into my simple life.

But here's the real point of the post...

Summer means swimsuits. And swimsuits mean body consciousness. Deny that, and you are crazy (I certify you right here and now).

So if we alter, tailor, pin and tuck our everyday clothes to make ourselves feel more confident, why don't we do that for our swimsuits?

I always alter my swimsuits. Often, I buy cheap separates that sag on the butt, pinch in the love handles, hang off my chest, you name it. But they are SO easy to fix. I just grab some sewing materials and go to town. Sometimes I even put the suits on and sew myself into them. It's really easy, just carefully sew up what is too big.

I bought a cute Maya Bandeau set from Victoria's Secret for about $8/piece, but the bottoms were too tight in all the worst places. Basically the bottoms made my small love handles into...the biggest muffin top you could ever hope to buy at the bakery? So I just cut the waistband at the sides and sewed up the four ends around a pen (to leave a place to thread a tie) and voila. The side ties are super forgiving and adjustable so they are perfect. I've done this to almost every suit I've bought this summer. They just look better!

Cut sides at the waistband, then pin and fold each of the four sides...

...around a pen, which lets you make where the tie will thread through.

However, I did recently run into a different problem: buying a swimsuit that ended up being a totally different color than I imagined. I thought it was a dark, dark leopard print. Turns out the bikini was a light-bright-feline-cheetah. So I decided to venture onto the internet and look up ways to die a swimsuit. Swimsuit material is incredibly delicate and prone to breaking down, so I knew regular RIT dye would not work.


The only thing you can safely use to dye a swimsuit is fabric paint.

You will be painting a swimsuit. Not like those nudey models who have swimsuits painted ON THEM. We are painting the swimsuit that then goes on your body :) I bought Tulip fabric paint in brown on sale at JoAnn's for $4.19. The swimsuit was about $8/piece.




I cut the sides on these bottom to create side-ties like the first bottoms I posted. I figured I'd cut them before I painted so that they would lie flatter. You don't have to do this if you don't want to make side-ties.



I painted the swimsuit by blotting/dabbing the paint directly onto the surface. I didn't smooth it over and pull it around, just blotted it thickly.


A blurry photo of the finished product. So much better! A little less Jersey Shore and a little more Miami Beach.


This is a really cheap and easy way to change up a swimsuit. I ended up doing one more coat on it and the cheetah was even less noticeable. Success!

7 comments:

  1. Did you wear this in water? Did the dye/paint fade or run?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is totally waterproof; however, I didn't wear it too many times, it is possible that it could start to fade after a lot of wear. I'll let you know when summer comes around again :)

      Delete
  2. Hi- I am looking to dye my white swimsuit top (it's dingy and faded now). I was wondering if the fabric paint faded or came off onto your body at all?

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I actually just wore it the other day and although it faded only very slightly, the color did not come off on my skin at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I want to dye my faded purple bikini back to it's original purple and I was wondering if you had to lightly iron the bathing suit after dying it so that the color would set? Also, does the feel of the material change to a hard feel or is it still soft?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I want to dye my faded purple bikini back to it's original purple and I was wondering if you had to lightly iron the bathing suit after dying it so that the color would set? Also, does the feel of the material change to a hard feel or is it still soft?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! My instructions were not to iron the bathing suit, and my color is still good. The fabric is much more stiff but feels fine when you're wearing it; also with some hand washes it starts to feel softer. xx

      Delete