Tuesday, April 16

MY ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE

A blog can record moments that don't seem important at the time. Last week I posted about my recent trip to Boston. I sparingly included photos of Newbury Street. The beautiful brownstones, sunshine, warm air. I remember the moments when I took those photos. I was having a great time browsing the shops with my mom, and imagining myself there next year in law school.

That was the exact area that is now the site of an indescribable tragedy.

I'm going to share with you a recipe I adapted from years of exposure to Italian cooking, because familiar things are comforting, and that's what we all need right now. I have to preclude: this is not your regular Italian-American tomato "gravy," it is a slightly bitter, rich, fresh, true Italian cooking sauce. This is also a cheap and easy recipe, perfect for students.

MY ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE


INGREDIENTS
32 oz. Canned Whole Peeled Tomatoes in Juice
1 lb. Ground Turkey (lean or not)
Salt & Pepper (add red pepper if you like spice)
4 Tbs. Butter
1 Medium White Onion
3/4 a Box of Pasta (depends on your pasta/sauce ratio preference)

STEPS
 1. Pour the ground turkey into a wide-bottomed saucepan and chop it up with your spoon. Season to liking with salt and pepper. Occasionally stir, and brown until cooked through and crispy.
2. Add some of the tomato juice from the can to the cooked and browned turkey and brown a bit more.

 3. Add the can of whole tomatoes. Stir.
4. Add the butter (mmm).
5. Crush the tomatoes with your spoon. I crush until I have a few chunks of tomato left, to keep things interesting.
6. Cut the medium white onion in half (stop there). Add the halves to the pot and leave them there. Let the sauce simmer at least an hour, target 2-3 hours at best.
7. When you like the consistency of the sauce after some long simmering, get your pasta ready. I happened to buy a fancy box of fresh fettuccine that day, but I generally prefer using 3/4 of a standard 1 lb. box of Whole Wheat Penne.
8. Cook your pasta (do yourself a favor and take it out before you think it's ready, that's al dente).
9. Sample the sauce with some bread like a true Italian.
10. Prepare a big bowl with the cooked pasta. Take out the onion halves and discard them. Then fold the sauce in and pour some parmeggiano-reggiano on top without any discretion.

This is my go-to Sunday Family meal. It's simple, totally filling, and really quite delicious. One day when I obtain a nice camera my recipes will look more attractive.

DANA

No comments:

Post a Comment