Thursday, September 12

LAWL SCHOOL: COLD CALLING

So it happened, finally. And no, I didn't text in class, my Air gets my messages and I sent this to my dad in two seconds. So don't judge!

Cold calling is a law school reality, a new "welcome to your classroom experience."



Cold Calling is a traditional law school practice when the professor randomly calls on a student to answer a question. Usually it's "Recite the facts of the case," "How would you interpret this statute," "Is there jurisdiction," and other similar things. Often, though, it's a back and forth with the professor. The rapid exchange where they switch up hypotheticals, waiting for you to nervously sift through your notes or even utter an "I'm not sure."I think it's what really makes law school tough. The anticipation of possibly having to answer a tough question while everyone--like, 70 people--is waiting for you to answer, is fountains of stress-sweat inducing.

I didn't knock it out of the park. I did manage to be engaged with the material for the entire hour and twenty minutes that I was getting cold called for. Some things I didn't know, some things I did, and some things were said on the fly. The one thing I can attest to is that when you're getting cold called, the readings can disappear in your head. Notes are key, people.

So I feel like I'm finally in the law school club now. If there are any lawl school students out there, don't fear the cold calling. I see it like a fraternity: it breaks us all down to our nervous, core selves and then we bond over it. That's the only merit someone could possibly see in it. I'd be the first one to sign an "End to Cold Calling" petition.

DANA

3 comments: