Saturday, November 15

GLUTEN FREE SIMPLE APPLE CROSTATA

Guess who's gluten free, itches? This lady!

As my friend Jen said, "Wait...this gluten free diet can't be for fun...you're Italian!"

Dear Jen is right. So right. But that's another story for another day. A story that involves me writing this with diaper cream all over my face (if that sneak preview didn't entice you...)

That being said, I love apple pie! But it's all about the crust for me, so I make it crostata-style. The Pillsbury gluten free pie crust gives me (I would say) an experience that feels about 70% of that when eating a regular pie crust. It's not as flaky, but it's essentially the same delivery for the apples and very lusciously oily (if that makes sense). I make my crostata very simply, so you might just call me Martha and name it "rustic."

GLUTEN FREE APPLE CROSTATA


Ingredients
3-4 large apples
1 Pillsbury Gluten Free Pie/Pastry Dough container
3 tbs. sugar substitute or real sugar
1/2 tbs. cinnamon

Supplies
Flat cookie sheet

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.

2. Chop up your apples. I make mine 1/4-1/3" thick. This ensures that they bake quickly before the thin crust gets too crispy.


3. Pat out your pie dough on the cookie sheet. As a disclaimer, the directions on the Pillsbury dough are to knead it for 30 seconds and then pat it down. I like my crust to be about 1/2" thick.


4. Layer your sliced apples directly onto the crust. I generally do mine in overlapping rows. You want to make sure there is uniformity in the thickness of the apples (to cook properly), not as much how pretty they are laid out!


5. Send 'er in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the apples are cooked through. This will vary very  much depending on your oven, dough, and thickness of apples. It's very easy to poke an apple with a knife, however, to see if they are done!


6. Let it cool for at least 5 minutes. You can see above how crispy my edges got--I would recommend turning the edges up into a little rolled crust so they don't get as crispy. Making that note for next time!


Gluten free ain't so bad sometimes. But then again, pizza :(

DANA

No comments:

Post a Comment